The hot Georgia summer is upon us and with that comes fun on the water. Whether its fishing in lake areas of Walter F. George, water skiing on Lake Lanier, floating down the Flint River, or deep sea fishing off the coast of Tybee Island, Georgia enjoys one of the largest percentages per capita of boat owners in the country. Unfortunately, negligent actions, carelessness, poor boat maintenance, and the overuse of alcohol contribute to severe injuries and death. In fact, many recreational boat operators are poorly trained in boating and do not understand basic rules of the water.
The good news is that most boats are required to carry insurance. Either by regulation or because the bank that holds the note on the vessel requires insurance, this can provide a source of recovery if you, a friend or family member are injured on a boat. Jim and Jason stand ready to assist victims of boating accidens 24/7 so do not hesitate to call us. We are experienced Georgia boat accident lawyers and we would be honored to help you. However, based on our experience in these cases, we offer the following safety tips for you to consider when boating:
(1) Always know where the propeller is located and avoid it while climbing on a boat. We have seen cases where swimmers and skiers do not pay attention to the propeller when climbing into the boat. This usually results, in our experience, to unspeakable injuries to a victims legs.
(2) Don't drink and operate a boat. If you are a passenger on a boat and the operator is drinking, get off the boat. It is that simple.
(3) Always wear a life vest and keep floatation devices close to you.
(4) Keep children close to you. Little ones will love the experience of racing across the water but they are not adults. Their sense of adventure and lack of attention can result in tragedy.
(5) Observe No Wake Zones. No Wake Zones are primarily located in congested areas near marinas or docking areas where there are more boats than on the open waters. The congestion can lead to accidents.
If you need us, call us. We are ready to help.
James Paisley is a personal injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA, and managing partner at Ferguson & Paisley, L.L.C. He fights for victim’s rights when they are hurt due to someone’s negligence. Call him directly at 404.618.0960.
We are a results driven firm that is capable of forming
effective legal strategies for all our clients.